If you build it, they will come . . . Creating a good reading space for your kids is pretty simple as long as you follow this formula:
bookcase with sufficient space + cozy seat + fun rug and pillows + good lighting.
Here I have created a cute cactus themed book nook, and I think the fun theme plus comfy digs will draw kids in and invite them to stay and read a while.
- This bookcase from Ikea is perfect for holding a growing book collection. The first reading space that I put together for my own kids had one of those canvas sling bookshelves that are great because they allow each book to be displayed with the cover facing out. This made the kids want to read them more because they could see them better, but I eventually had to get rid of the canvas shelf because it just doesn't hold that many books. This case holds a lot.
- This chair from Amazon looks so comfortable! I know my kids would fight over who gets to snuggle up in this chair first.
- This lamp is so fun! The playful shape adds to the theme, but the neutral color keeps it from being cheesy.
- I found this art on Etsy here and here. Oh, Etsy. My credit card hates you. My credit card company loves you. Too many cute things that I can't live without.
- Every good book nook needs a soft rug. Half the time, my kids would rather lay on the floor while reading as opposed to sitting in a chair, so finding a good rug is key. I like this one from Ikea. The graphic print is happy, and the price is happy too!
- Lastly, cute and comfy pillows bring it all together. The two pillows here are from Land of Nod.
Do you have a special reading area in your house? What did you put in it? Let me know below!